Saturday, July 2, 2011

You Better BELIZE It!

Maverick and I recently took a trip with Mommy, Grandpa Talley, and Godbrother Dylan to visit Aunt Miss Natasha Turner (AMNT) and Grandma and Grandpa Tait in Belize!  We left June 13th and flew overnight with stops in San Francisco and Houston before arriving in Belize City the morning of June 14th.  It was Mav's first plane ride ever! 
Although traveling through the night was a little rough and exhausting, it was so exciting when we finally got to Belize City where we were greeted by AMNT who flew in from London and Grandma and Grandpa Tait who retired in Belize about a year ago.

We drove out to Corozal Town where Grandma and Grandpa Tait live (about 2 hours north of Belize City).  It was a beautiful drive with lush greenery and enticing food stands all along the way.  We had a lovely Belizean tour guide to keep us company and tell us stories all through the car ride too - you guessed it, Grandma Tait!

Corozal is situated right next to Corozal Bay, which has gorgeously clear water.  Upon arriving in Corozal, we went out to a restaurant to eat some Belizean food and then crashed out at Copa Banana Hotel where we had a two-bedroom guest house. 
I was pooped!

During the rest of our stay, we went swimming in the Copa Banana swimming pool, we visited the zoo, we took a small plane out to San Pedro to spend a day at the beach, and we did lots of good visiting with each other.

Pics from hanging out by the Copa Banana pool:

Pics from the Belize Zoo:

Maverick sweaty, but smiley.

Check out the funny signs.  Notice the fences are barely taller than the animals and there is no netting around the monkeys.  It was a legitimate wildlife experience!  Also notice we were always sweating.  That's because it was oppressively hot.

Pics from San Pedro day trip:

Pics from Grandma and Grandpa Tait's house:

We had delcious food throughout our stay.  The best food came from the Tait residence.  Grandma Tait really spoiled us with her excellent home cooking.  Stew chicken, rice and beans, plantains, derudia, fry jack, fish, shrimp, pesto, cinnamon rolls - Mmm!  I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

Of all the neat things we experienced, however, my number one trip highlight would have to be just being in Dylan's presence.  I'm a little obsessed with him.  From the second he awoke, I wanted to dance with him and I only wanted him to get me out of my car seat and push me in my stroller.  Another thing topping the awesomeness chart was that I got to wear my Belize dress in Belize.  It was purchased months ago with the Belize trip in mind; however, I insisted on wearing it a lot beforehand in anticipation of our adventure.  I would put it on and get in my play car on the back patio and proclaim, "I'm going to Belize!"

Pic of Talley sublimely happy to be dancing with Dylan and wearing her Belize dress:

Tropical storms kept us locked in with Mommy the last couple days of our trip.  However, AMNT, Grandpa Talley, and Dylan braved the rough weather and visited the Mayan ruins. 

We left Belize on June 19th.  We had an overnight layover in Houston and got home on June 20th.  Here's a pic  of us in front of our hotel in Houston waiting for the airport shuttle with our luggage.  It was a little ridiculous how much we packed, but Mommy wanted to make sure we were prepared for anything.
(And that's missing one stroller that got lost by the airline.) 

All in all, we had a wonderful visit and a fun adventure.  However, it was really great to get home and see Daddy.  I really missed him and my play room.

- Talley
To see a full album of pics from our Belize trip, please click here: Pics from Belize Trip 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment